Good News and Bad News

>> Friday, August 7, 2009

The good news is that I am the proud gardener of two new planting beds. Can't wait for fall planting.

The dog days of summer are here. The heat has taken a toll on everything including me. This is my meager harvest for today. You'll notice no tomatoes. The few that ripened ended up lunch for the squirrels

Now for the bad news. On Monday I had four beautiful Petit Pan squash. I decided to give them another day or two. As you can see, the borers had already set in to do their dirty work.

I salvaged these two. I am committed to organic, non-pesticide gardening, but I can understand how one can give up the good fight.


I will be spending next week at a workshop in California learning organic gardening techniques, seed collecting, plant identification, and permaculture. If there is wi-fi, I will be posting from the yurt.

3 comments:

Randy Emmitt August 8, 2009 at 4:23 AM  

Watch those patty pans they can get big very quickly. If you harvest them big the seeds can nearly mature, just cut them out. We are sick of them already this year.

Autumn Belle August 11, 2009 at 2:27 AM  

Do keep up your good work. Organic farming is great. Good luck in your learning class.

Teresa August 11, 2009 at 9:41 PM  

Sorry about your squash and tomatoes. Bummer. I will be interested to read your future posts from the organic class.

BlogCatalog

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP